Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday Gardening Club

It's been a while since I posted for the Monday Gardening Club. I have learned a few things this year about gardening. My yard has a lot of shade trees and although the things I planted grew like crazy, they didn't produce like crazy.

I have four huge tomato plants. This is my first harvest. There are a few more that will be ready today.


I have 8 squash plants and have harvested...hmmm, maybe a dozen or so squash. I have 4 jalapenos and may have harvested 10 so far, but there are more growing. I've got a few peppers growing, but I'm still waiting for them to finish and ripen. Lettuce did well, but it's done now. Chard did well and it's still growing strong.

Next year, if we're still in this house, I need to rethink what we plant. This has been a great first garden and learning experience. If the Lizard King was here, I would probably try a winter garden. Perhaps another winter.

7 comments:

rachel... said...

Nicely done! I wish I had your ambition and your green thumb!

5 orange potatoes said...

Very nicely done. Our garden was not very productive this year. We did harvest some eggplant, sweet corn and peppers....the deer got to our tomato plants. If we are here next year we need a really tall deer fence.

Lisa :)

Shady Lady said...

Rachel, I don't know how green my thumb is...I think it's more like dumb luck. ;)

Lisa, here's hoping you are able to stay in your beautiful little part of the world...even if you have to build a really tall deer fence.

Zayna said...

Congrats. Isn't it just so satisfying to harvest your own food?

I wish our garden had fared better this year.

Shady Lady said...

Zayna, it is amazingly satisfying to eat what I've grown. One day I'd like to have an even bigger (and more harvestable...is that a word?) garden. Wishing you better garden success next year!

Aliceson said...

I knew you'd be hooked after tasting the goods. Gardening is so worth it! If you have too many ripe tomatoes you could blanch them (to remove the skin) and freeze them. I love to use them in soup or pasta sauce over the winter.

Shady Lady said...

Aliceson, yes, I am hooked. I don't think I'll have a problem with too many ripe tomatoes, though. I've harvested about 8 so far and they're pretty small. They are yummy!