Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Gardening Club

What the heck? First my brussel sprouts have aphids now my squash has some bizarre disease!

The whole plant looks like this. All of them look like this!
This is a leaf close up.
This is what happens over time and eventually the leaf is gone.It's happening to the pumpkins as well. Everything is still producing.
But seriously, what the heck is it?! And more importantly, how do I make it stop?
Head on over to see the woman who started it all. Aliceson at Feet Off the Table. I bet she's not having these problems in her garden.

7 comments:

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Sorry to hear about the aphids.

Unknown said...

It's a fungus of some kind. Our squash plants have been decimated by this two years running.

Oh, and I have no idea how to stop it.

Shady Lady said...

Well fine...my friend was over today and cut off all the icky leaves. I guess I'll wait and see what happens next. Thanks for clearning it all up so well, Kelly. ;)

Oh and the aphids seem to have all died and the brussel sprouts are doing better. Perhaps the 108 degree heat killed them? Or the following cold snap?

Formerly known as Frau said...

Sorry that sucks! Maybe go to your garden center with a leaf and ask them for help. Have a great day!

TeresaMDC said...

my squash and pumpkins always get this at the end of the summer and fall. It drives me crazy they still produce I have always wondered if it is mold? I have noticed it in the huge pumpkin patchs and always thought it is just what happens

Shady Lady said...

Good to know! Thanks, Teresa!

Aliceson said...

That's frustrating! I wonder if it has something to do with all of the warm and humid weather you've been having.

We have had a relatively cool summer and my garden seems to like it that way. I haven't had any weird bug or mold issues yet.

For the squash and melons in my garden I tuck a handful of straw under each one to keep it from molding/ rotting on the ground. That wouldn't do anything for the leaves but it would help the veggies and fruit.