Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Kwanzaa

This year at Village Home we learned a little bit about Kwanzaa. Princess was intrigued. She wanted to learn more and to celebrate the holiday.

On the internet I found a lot of fun activities here and here and a lapbook here. I copied and pasted the pages from this

to make a mini book.

We made a paper kinara and "lit" the appropriate candle for each of the seven nights of Kwanzaa.


We did worksheets that Princess loves to do.


We learned about Dr. Karenga, the founder of Kwanzaa.


Unscrambled some Kwanzaa words
(Why is Blogger doing this? Does anyone know?)


Our mkeka (straw mat) for placing the symbols of Kwanzaa.


Our unity cup

We learned the meaning of Kwanzaa colors and talked a little about slavery.

And read this book.



Princess loved learning more about Kwanzaa and our (very basic) celebration.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Shady Lady said...

Thanks for the feedback, "A"! It is much appreciated. I'm glad you are enjoying this little blog of mine. I just wish I knew who you are...wanna share?

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

You come up with such great activities for your daughter. You inspire me.

Shady Lady said...

Awww shucks, SMT! I'm thrilled that I inspire you. =)

Ute said...

Okay, so I have this awesome idea!!! YOU take my kids for a few hours each day and let them participate in all your cool activities!! That way I don't have to hate you for being so creative... but I also don't feel the urge to be more creative. It's a win/win situation for all!!! :)

No, really, I love what you do with Princess!

Shady Lady said...

Freckle, you are too funny! But,we don't spend a few hours each day. We're way too unschooly for that. What you see took all week. :)

I'm glad you like what I do. I think it's pretty darn fun.