Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Random Spelling


Recently, Princess started spelling. When I ask her a question, she responds by spelling the answer. At times she'll ask me to give her words to spell, starting easy and getting progressively harder. I'm not sure what prompted this, but she's having a ball with it. There are times that she is uncertain about a word, but with a little help she finds her way through. Some of the words she figures out surprise me. Perhaps she's caught the bug from her momma. I'm such a spelling and grammar nerd goddess*.

I truly believe in this unschooling path we're on, but it rocks to be reminded how beautifully it works.

*I am not responsible for any typos.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My sneaky little one has started recognizing environmental print, but refuses to be quizzed on it. She gave herself away last week by shouting PIZZA as we passed a Dominoes. We don't get pizza from Dominoes, so I know it wasn't just a good guess.

Sheri said...

Isn't it awesome when what you know in your heart is reinforced by your child's eagerness and enthusiasm?

Children really do learn much faster and retain more when it's something THEY want to know.

Congrats to both of you.

:)

rachel... said...

Oh gosh, what a beautiful picture!

How old is she? My son, who is 6is spelling everything in sight lately! Much earlier than my oldest who took no interest until at least second grade.

You should be proud!

Ute said...

Love the pic, Shady Lady. :)
Rachel, Princess is 6.

Hey, Blue Eyed Boy has taken to spelling all of sudden. Looks like Princess is contagious.

Shady Lady said...

Kelly, that is so cool! And no, they don't like to be quizzed unless it's their idea. ;)

Sheri, it is an amazing thing when someething I believe is validated. I have completely embraced this unschooling life. It so rocks!

Hey Rachel, yup...Princess is 6, well she'd tell you that she's 6 1/2.

Freckle, Blue Eyed Boy too, huh? Cool! I love the proof that this unschooling thing works. :)

Thanks for the pic compliments. I really liked that one. Every once in a while I capture a good one.